Tuesday, October 9, 2007

As a therapist, I often help my clients provide a space where they can ventilate their emotions, learn to express their feelings and feel light. They often describe counseling process as a space where they can be uninhibited.

I remember often telling my students that as counselors we do possess a sense of power and it’s essential to not let this sense of importance get to our heads. As I’m writing I tell myself that it’s a process which creates that space and not me.

However this besides the point, I have learnt that building spaces for others is easier as compared to creating a space for oneself.

As a therapist one of the professional hazards is burnout or emotional exhaustion. Now I know the way to deal with is to remind myself that I need the space too, the space to breathe, the space to exude my personal identity, the space to experience my emotions and finally the space to prepare myself for my professional identity too.

No comments: