Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Counsellor characteristics that no textbook teaches

Years of practicing as therapist has taught me few things which no textbook really addressed. It has been fascinating how certain characteristics seem to be as relevant as the process of therapy itself.

Often when I bump in to my clients after therapy has been terminated and address them by their first name, they are amazed. They feel so happy that I still remember their name or even if they call and I recognize their voice, it feels good to them.I have realized how important it is to remember people's names. All of us love being addressed by our first names, and now I have realized that it matters a lot. So all budding counselors, start working on your memory. :)

Remembering details of what a client shares is immensely important and may be that explains why making notes is essential for every counselor. However the most essential is to listen to your client, take every word as important and store it in one corner to your mind and retrieve it when your client is taking. One of the skills is to remember register and connect various pieces of information that clients talk at various times and believe me, if you do so, it's beautiful how clients develop their own insight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ok, cool... i just made even more another emo backgrounds to my blog
http://www.emo-backgrounds.info