Thursday, January 3, 2008

Sense of worth

My psychology professor, while teaching Rogers, mentioned a line that stayed with me. Over the years it has shaped my work with my clients. This post is a way of thanking my professor for saying that and touching my life in a significant way.

The strange thing is that I still remember the day when she mentioned the line and how it kept echoing for a very long time.Carl Rogers was a therapist who believed in the human potential. He believed that people have the capacity to find their own answers. My professor said —

'The fact that you are a human being makes you worthy'.

I consider this as something sacred, which has touched the lives of so many students who I taught psychology and the clients I worked with. It helps reinforce the idea of being and I have seen people's faces light up as soon as they hear it. It's been healing in a beautiful way.

Thanks for sharing that line with us and touching so many lives.

2 comments:

Maya2in1 said...

I find that being worthy, or feeling worthy inspite of your imagined or real shortcomings is one of the keys to identity and therefore one of the keys of psychological work.

Unknown said...

hey..was reading through your blog and it really made me smile...i like the stuff u have written will drop by more often
Cheers
Neha